Bombay Bhel

on
Sunday, January 1, 2012
New Year's Day dinner at Bombay Bhel with Shawn and his family:

Vegetable and beef samosas with tamarind sauce

Lamb korma, butter chicken, and naan (!)

Bombay Bhel is still my favourite Indian restaurant so far (at least, for dinner — their lunch buffet has gotten mixed reviews, though I've never been). While I've definitely had better samosas and more flavourful and fluffier naan, their lamb korma and butter chicken are still the best, in my opinion. Their butter chicken just has the most rich, flavourful sauce and a very generous amount of moist, tender chicken chunks. Likewise, their lamb korma has the most perfect, creamy consistency and flavour (unlike this one, which had oil floating everywhere). I usually get lamb with korma because I feel like the flavours work well together, but I reckon it would be just as tasty with chicken or beef. Since Shawn's mom and sister are both pescetarian, they had separate dishes from us, but they both loved the fish tikka and baingan bhurtha (and I tried one of their vegetable pakoras, which were very tasty; crispy and packed with flavour). At first glance, the portions don't seem very big, but we could barely finish our dinner near the end. And the service was good; polite, efficient, and attentive. If I lived closer to a Bombay Bhel, you can be damn sure I'd be eating there at least once a week.

On another note, my New Year's Eve was mellow but fun with close friends. Seven of us went over to Edward's house and had a makeshift BBQ in his car port. Yes, ghetto fabulous. But they made all sorts of yummy food: Avocado and cucumber salad, Japanese potato salad, fresh garlic bread with cheese, chicken skewers, and beef ribs. Who cares about the cold when you have such deliciousness awaiting? Of course, the drinking ensued (which I do not take part of, and thusly makes me a great dealer for drinking card games), post-countdown cheers all around, Sharpie drawings on a passed out Vito shortly after that, and the night (or morning, I should say) ended in watching Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story. A splendid way to ring in 2012, for sure. Hope all of you had a fantastic New Year's!
6 comments on "Bombay Bhel"
  1. My brother went to a friend's place as well and I asked him if you were there, lol. He said no but he thinks he knew whose house you went to. Sounds like a good time! I didn't end up wearing Impassioned because I didn't think about the fact that my dress was 80's style, so when I put on the lip colour, I looked at myself in the mirror and went 'Um NO' and immediately switched to Lychee Luxe haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Kahyen! :) Haha, yeah, apparently your brother and Edward and some other guys play poker together occasionally. Small world, eh?

    LOL, it's too bad Impassioned didn't work out with your New Year's outfit! But you should definitely rock it, maybe when your outfit is more neutral so the colour pops. And layer Lychee Luxe on top! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Girl, every time I come by your blog you make me want something, either food or more pretty things. Yikes!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, D, I'm so sorry for tempting you. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG, my mouth is watering LITERALLY. I was hoping for some really good Indian food in Singapore but our trip to Little India was so short and we were stuffed by the time we got there. That naan looks so soft and amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha, Liz, I think Indian food is one of my favourites. You smell pretty bad afterwards and you may get the runs... but IT'S SO WORTH IT. You'll have to make up for it by eating extra Indian food here.

    Naan owns my soul.

    ReplyDelete

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9