Samosa King

on
Friday, January 20, 2012
Shawn and I decided to get some take-out from Samosa King for late lunch/early dinner:

Vegetable samosas with spicy coriander chutney and sweet tamarind sauce

Vegetable samosas (innards)

Butter chicken and naan

You can be damn sure that if an Indian restaurant is called Samosa King, their samosas are the main draw. And these are easily the best samosas I've ever had in the city, and like none I've had at any other Indian restaurant. Apparently, people travel from all over the city for these deep-fried delights, ordering 50 or more at a time, so they always churn out fresh batches. They are packed with well-seasoned potatoes, peas, and onions, and the outer shell is crispy and substantial (think egg roll shells, rather than spring roll shells). And they are only 5 for $1! I ordered 15 for myself because they still taste phenomenal when they're microwaved, so you know, midnight snacks. Apparently, there is usually quite a line-up at Samosa King (for take-out; there is also a dine-in restaurant next door), especially on Tuesdays and Fridays for the $2 specials, but we went around 5:00, and there were maybe five or six other people there.

The butter chicken was pretty good, but not fantastic; the chicken was moist and tender, but the sauce didn't have the same spices as the butter chicken I've had at other places, so it was more like chicken in gravy to me. Which is good, but just not as... butter chicken-y as I had hoped. (As Shawn pointed out, though, it's called Samosa King, not Butter Chicken King.) Their curries are pre-made and sitting in heating plates, so I'm not sure how fresh it was at 5:00 in the afternoon, though. But the naan was phenomenal, and might just be my favourite naan I've had so far. Each piece is thick, fluffy, flavourful, and baked to order. I will definitely be going again and again for the samosas and naan, and will try one of the other curries next time. And the rotti. And the desserts. Oh, god, too much deliciousness...
10 comments on "Samosa King"
  1. Holy shit balls, I want some of those samosas!! Where is this glorious place? I wonder if Richard can eat them... I use to get samosas from A1 sweets in Scarborough..2 for a buck. They are huge.

    I made butter chicken yesterday from scratch for the first time! It was pretty darn fab. Trade you? lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, man. I am coming to your house to eat. :D

      Sooo... when are you gonna make me some doughnuts?!

      Delete
  2. I just google mapped and your place is 3 minutes away from mine. Totally checking them out next time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TOTALLY. It's at Finch and Middlefield, so not too far. You should get like, 30 samosas just for yourself.

      Delete
  3. Samosas! Never heard of this place but I'm assuming that it's in Markham or somewhere up north. Another place bookmarked for whenever the heck I get up there! The price is phenomenal. I'll have to lug back like 100 samosas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, no, Samosa King is actually in Scarborough. Still kinda far for people not in the east end... but WORTH IT. And, yes, you will need to get 100 samosas. Some people apparently order hundreds and freeze them because THEY ARE STILL FANTASTIC when defrosted. :D

      Delete
  4. I would die for a Samosa and naan with curry right about now. UGH!!! It looks SO good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, as i'm looking at these pictures now, I wish I had about 20 more samosas. :(

      Sorry, Irene. :(

      Delete
  5. I'm so jealous and super sad because I LOVE Samosas, but I still can't taste anything. :***(.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :( We will go out to eat when you are better!!! Here's hoping you can taste food soon. :(

      Delete

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9