Deborah Lippmann Nail Lacquer in Mermaid's Dream

on
Sunday, March 4, 2012

So, as a fiend for all things seafoam, turquoise, and glitter, you know I had to have Deborah Lippmann's Mermaid's Dream. I've been lusting after it since Christmas, when the preview of Lippmann's Spring collection leaked out. As I don't live anywhere near a retailer that sells Deborah Lippmann and all online retailers that carry the shade are from the US, Liz was kind enough to pick one up for me at Holt Renfrew and mail it to me!


Mermaid's Dream is a metallic seafoam green base with blue glitter and gold and turquoise shimmer. The effect actually mimics what I imagine to be the scales from a mermaid's tail: iridescent, sparkling, and metallic. The glitter even adds a textural component that reminds me of the ridges in a scale. Those who aren't a fan of that metallic foil look in their nail polishes probably won't like this, but I actually don't mind it. This polish is called Mermaid's Dream, after all, and I find the metallic finish adds to the effect. And depending on the lighting, it can look more blue or more green, which makes it all the more endearing to me. Plus, it goes completely opaque in two medium coats, and I found that this particular shade dried really fast. Like, I think I waited maybe two minutes before adding a second coat. In total, I spent maybe 15 minutes doing my nails. All in all, this polish, retailing at $22, was entirely worth it for me. (You can read Liz's take on Mermaid's Dream, complete with pictures of mermaids and oceans, here.)
6 comments on "Deborah Lippmann Nail Lacquer in Mermaid's Dream"
  1. I saw this colour recently but didn't get it as my hands are kind of dark and I'm afraid it will look garish. A bit jealous now :) Looks great on you actually. I love Lippmann nail polishes as the quality is amazing. I can paint my nails in half the time...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Fieran! I think everyone of all skin tones can wear this shade, but I think it depends on if you can wear it with confidence! The foil effect of the base does make this shade look a lot brighter on the nails than in the bottle, though, so if you're not one for wearing more... attention-catching shades, you might feel uncomfortable wearing this, lol. I do wish it had a jelly base, as I think it'd be more flattering across the board, but I do still love this one! And, weirdly enough, all of the Lippmann polishes I own are glitters, lol. It does make for some amazing drying time. :)

      Delete
    2. Hmm, I shall try to swatch it the next time I see it. I don't mind wearing eye catching shades but I get a bit conscious sometimes :)

      Btw, have you tried OPI's drip drying drops? Sephora for OPI also sells it. It's something I use from time to time when working with slightly fussy formulas. Definitely helps the layers dry quicker.

      Delete
    3. I have Nicole by OPI's Drying Drops! I actually find that I don't use it as much since I switched to Seche Vite top coat. I actually kind of forgot about those drying drops until you mentioned it! I should bust it back out, especially for the times I do like, four coats...

      Delete
  2. WHHHHYYYYYY does it look so good on you but so weird on me?!????

    Maybe when I'm darker in the summer... I DON'T KNOW!

    Btw, I've tried the OPI drying drops and they're quite good. But I just prefer the efficiency of a fast-drying top coat instead of having to apply top coat AND a drying drop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I don't know, Liz!

      Maybe skintone or nail shape or nail length...?

      Haha, I am exactly the same way!!! That's why I switched to Seche Vite, lol!

      Delete

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9