Glymm: March Box

on
Thursday, March 15, 2012

I received my March Glymm box yesterday and decided to post about it before I forgot, like I did with my February box... Whoops. For those who haven't heard of Glymm, it's a beauty subscription program very similar to Luxe Box. It's $10 a month, and you get a box of four to five deluxe beauty samples sent right to your door. This program is good for those who want to try a different assortment of beauty products without having to actually buy the products. However, the products in each box are a complete surprise every month, so I would not recommend joining if you have certain expectations, because there are bound to be some products that you'll be disappointed in. As far as I know, Glymm is a Canadian-only beauty subscription program, but there are many similar programs offered by different companies all around the world.


This month, I received:
NuMe Feather Hair Extensions (full size, one piece): NuMe hair extensions are "100% cruelty-free, synthetically crafted from real human hair and ready for heat styling." I, for one, have never gotten into the "wearing feathers in your hair" trend. And I don't think I ever will. That being said, this is not a feather. Feathers, I can deal with. This is actual hair that has been crafted to look like a feather. That's all fine and dandy, but hair extensions, wigs, and any synthetically crafted hair completely freak me out. I can't even touch them. (It's a weird phobia, I know, but I think it stems from my phobia of clowns.) Needless to say, I won't be opening this package and will be giving them to someone, anyone, else. Ack!

M. Asam Vino Gold Perfect Teint (sample size, 5 ml): This is essentially a primer for the face that "fills in fine lines and evens out the complexion of the skin for a flawless, satiny smooth, matte finish." It has a silicone-based texture that "settles into lines and wrinkles making them appear invisible." For what it's worth, this is actually a pretty decent primer, and I think those with more mature skin would appreciate this product. When you put it on skin, it really does look smoother, like it's been airbrushed. However, I personally don't like the texture of this primer — it's rather thick and filmy, almost grainy, and feels like I have a layer of silicone on my skin. I also don't like the fact that it comes in a jar, which is really unhygienic. But you do get enough of product in this sample container to really test out the effects of it. In the end, though, if you like more of a silicone-based texture in your primers, I think you're better off getting Smashbox's version, which is similar in effect, comes in a pump bottle, and is more widely available.

M. Asam Vino Gold Magic Fini (sample size, 5 ml): This is a foundation with a silicone-like texture that "blends beautifully into your skin to conceal uneven skintone for a light, matte, natural-looking finish." It also promises to "smooth away the appearance of wrinkles, enlarged pores, and imperfections to reveal a sun-kissed, healthy-looking skintone." It reminded me a lot of Benefit's Some Kind-a Gorgeous foundation in the sense that it seemed to really even out my complexion, in both tone and texture, though it gave me medium coverage at most. It is meant to give a "sun-kissed" look, so it does make skin a tint darker, though I did find that it made my skin look quite ashy over time. Like the primer, it gives that smooth, airbrushed quality to the skin, but it also felt like there was a filmy layer on my face, which I don't like. The biggest flaw here is that they don't make different shades of this product, which is a huge turn-off to me. This would be ideal for those who have medium to medium-dark skintones and enjoy multi-tasking products, 'cause this is like a foundation and a bronzer in one. Unfortunately, this will never replace my foundation or bronzer, 'cause it ultimately doesn't give me the coverage, texture, or colour I want.

Ocean Fast Drying Long Lasting Nail Lacquer in Pink Illusion (full size, 15 ml): I'd never heard of the Ocean brand, but the formula on this particular shade goes on really smooth and even, with excellent pigmentation. It goes opaque in two coats, with no problems with streaking, pulling, or bubbling. However, this shade is not something I would ever wear. Pink Illusion is a medium warm pink with micro-shimmer that gives it a pearlized effect. It sounds pretty, but it just reminds me of something a 75-year-old woman would wear. Or a shade you might find at the dollar store. I might be interested in some of their other shades, especially if the formula in those is as good as it is in this one. But I will definitely be giving this shade to someone else. Like, a grandma.

Guys, this box was such a bust for me. There is not a one of these products that I would use, aside from testing purposes. I just feel like Glymm is getting worse and worse over time. There is absolutely nothing personalized with these products; it seems like they are just giving me random shitty samples, regardless of my age, skintone, skin type, and preferences in general. I am so, so disappointed. At this point, I honestly can't wait until my subscription is over.
13 comments on "Glymm: March Box"
  1. The hair extension is friggin random!! I'm annoyed! LOL! Why would they send a random piece of hair extension?!?!?!

    The ocean polish looks nice though. I wish Manila would come up with these subcription boxes! I would def subcribe :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT I THOUGHT. I was like, "SERIOUSLY? A FUCKING HAIR EXTENSION?"

      Haha, you know, when these subscription boxes were new and "invitation only," it seemed like a really exciting and promising concept. But in actual execution, I have been so much more disappointed than I have been satisfied. :(

      Delete
  2. It's seem fairly common that these sample boxes are more disappointing than delightful, which is why I've refrained from signing up to any. It's really too bad since it's such a cool concept.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What pisses me off about these boxes is that the first one they send you is usually AMAZING. Like, the first Glymm box I received, I got three awesome full-sized products (Principessa lip balm, Lise Watier lip gloss stick, Vasanti eyeshadow). So they get your hopes up and you think you'll get these fantastic products every month. Next thing you know, you're getting crappy Burt's Bees body lotion packets or a one-use shampoo packet. And now? ONE HAIR EXTENSION. Uhhhh, what???

      The only subscription box worth signing up for is Julep Maven. Because everything's always full-sized, and you get a preview of what you'll get, lol.

      Delete
  3. This looks like such a random box. Lol, feather hair, random skincare like you would find at Winners, and pearly pink nail polish like 70's lipstick?

    You should post to their facebook page about it! I got my Top Box earlier this week and it seems like they took some advice from their subscribers...maybe Glymm will do the same?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's perhaps the crappiest box I have ever received. Like, who uses this shit???

      I really should write to Glymm. I should find out if they have a FB page...

      Delete
  4. I feel disappointed for you!
    Definitely shoot them a complain e-mail or something telling them how dissatisfied you are and you want your money back. lol They might not give you any back, but you never know.
    Aside from the cute packaging, everything else blows chunks! I wouldn't even wear that nail polish if it were free. Or that hair thing. Oi vey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like I can't really complain about this box, 'cause the whole concept of these beauty subscriptions is that you get surprise products every month. :(

      I think that's the most disappointing part, though, is that I wouldn't wear these even if they were free, and I technically paid $10 for it. Seriously the biggest waste of money. UGH.

      Delete
    2. I'd still let them know how their boxes are seriously declining. They need customer feedback to improve! So really, you're helping them. Do it!

      Delete
  5. Damn, what a waste of good hair. Why anyone would wear that is beyond me.

    And I think I've totally given up on mystery beauty boxes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THAT'S WHAT I'M SAYING. FEATHER HAIR IS HORRENDOUS.

      And yeah, me too. It's just so not worth it.

      Delete
  6. You can't cancel?

    I've never heard of any of these things and wouldn't ever spend money on them, including that grandma nail polish. Bleh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, because I'm STUPID and I signed up for a year's subscription. "Members that pre-pay for a full year subscription service or a gift subscription are not eligible for cancellation." UGGGGHHHHH.

      IT IS TOTALLY A GRANDMA NAIL POLISH. This box makes me so angry!!!

      Delete

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9