Julep Maven Box: May 2012

on
Monday, May 28, 2012

I can't believe it's already been a month since my last Julep Maven box — seriously, where has the time gone? When I got a preview of the May boxes for Julep Maven, I wasn't too impressed with the products or shades in any of the box styles, so I just kept my "It Girl" option. Included in this month's "It Girl" box were three nail polish shades:

Kylie, Ashley, and Nessa

Kylie is a medium-dark amethyst purple with purple shimmer. This shade is actually a magnetic polish (the box came with a magnet), so when you use the magnet with the polish, it creates blackened violet wavy stripes. It applied smoothly and evenly, with high pigmentation and opaque colour pay-off. It goes opaque in one medium coat, but two will make it perfect (and you need at least two coats if you're going to be using the magnetic effect). It is very similar to Nails Inc.'s Houses of Parliament.

Ashley is a medium brightened tangerine with gold shimmer. The brush for this polish arrived really frayed, so I wasn't able to achieve a smooth or even application, but that doesn't mean that those who received this polish with a non-frayed brush couldn't. The brush caused the polish to go on really thick and goopy, and it was really hard to control how it went on my nail. It has medium-high pigmentation and semi-opaque colour pay-off. It goes opaque in two medium coats, but because it is prone to streaking, you may need three to achieve full opacity. I couldn't think of a dupe for this shade.

Nessa is a light-medium brightened lemon yellow with white-yellow shimmer. The brush for this polish arrived really frayed, so I wasn't able to achieve a smooth or even application, but that doesn't mean that those who received this polish with a non-frayed brush couldn't. The brush caused the polish to go on really thick and goopy, and it was really hard to control how it went on my nail. It has medium-high pigmentation and semi-opaque colour pay-off. It goes opaque in two medium coats, but because it is prone to streaking, you may need three to achieve full opacity. I couldn't think of a dupe for this shade.

I liked that the colours in this box were more unique, even if the formulas weren't stellar. Though Ashley and Nessa aren't really my cup of tea, they're nice options to have for Spring and Summer. I am, however, super-pissed that the brushes on both of those shades arrived completely frayed — it made it impossible to get a smooth and even finish. Kylie had the best application and colour pay-off, but it looks almost identical to Nails Inc.'s Houses of Parliament — and let's be honest, I'm so over the magnetic trend. Overall, it's a decent box with some unique colours for the season, but I'm not entirely impressed with the quality of the formulas and I was very disappointed with the frayed brush applicators. The May Julep Maven box is probably my least favourite so far.
4 comments on "Julep Maven Box: May 2012"
  1. Ugh, I don't like these at all. Never was on board with the magnetic trend and I don't like warm colours with shimmer that looks closer to frost. Also the frayed brushes? UNFORGIVEABLE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree, I'm not a huge fan of frosted nail polishes, either. I don't think magnetic polish looks bad, per se, but I'm just over the trend. That having been said, the colour looks really good on its own (without being magnetized). The brushes KILLED ME. UGH. This box was such a disappointment, for real. :(

      Delete
  2. i heard they're sending extra brushes with the june box :)

    http://www.tseparfait.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really?!?! I sincerely hope so, because I feel totally ripped off!

      Delete

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9