MAC Hey, Sailor!: Eyeshadows

on
Thursday, May 24, 2012

MAC released their main Summer collection, called Hey, Sailor!, in stores today in North America. Hey, Sailor! is comprised of two parts, one focusing on colour and the other focusing on face and body. Together, this collection features a total of 40 products — 30 of which are new and limited edition, five of which are re-promotes, and five of which are permanent. Hey, Sailor! sees the release of five Eyeshadow shades, four of which are new and limited edition, and one of which is permanent (that will not be reviewed here). Each Eyeshadow comes in a limited edition navy blue pot with a clear lid featuring a navy blue nautical stripe design, and limited edition box packaging featuring the same design. Each Eyeshadow contains 1.3 - 1.5 grams of product, and retails for $19. These are not applicable for the Back to MAC recycling program.

From bottom right: Jaunty, Barefoot, Feeling Fresh, and Nautical Navy

Jaunty, Barefoot, Feeling Fresh, and Nautical Navy

Jaunty is a light-medium warm wheat beige with a metallic sheen in a Frost finish. It is a new and limited edition shade. The texture is soft, dense, and buttery. It goes on smoothly and evenly, with high pigmentation and opaque colour pay-off. It can be layered and blended out easily. It is warmer than Patina, cooler and less frosted than Retrospeck, and lighter and less brown than Era.

Barefoot is a light-medium warm dirty gold in a Veluxe Pearl finish. It is a new and limited edition shade. The texture is soft, dense, and buttery. It goes on smoothly and evenly, and has medium-high pigmentation and semi-opaque colour pay-off. I find that it doesn't have the same intense pigmentation as most Veluxe Pearl eyeshadows, but this does layer easily to achieve opacity and also blends out easily. It is less yellow and much more subdued than Goldmine, and darker and more bronze than Gorgeous Gold.

Feeling Fresh is a medium brightened grass green with yellow undertones and silver shimmer in a Frost finish. It is a new and limited edition shade. It has a dry, powdery texture and doesn't bind well together, so it tends to skip on the skin and doesn't blend easily. There is a grittiness to it that makes it seem more like a Lustre finish than a Frost. It has medium pigmentation and semi-opaque colour pay-off, but it does layer easily over a primer or eyeshadow base to reach opacity. It is slightly lighter and a bit cooler than Fresh Flare Pro Longwear Eyeshadow.

Nautical Navy is a dark navy blue with soft blue and silver shimmer in a Satin finish. It is a new and limited edition shade. It has a slightly drier texture, but it goes on smoothly and evenly, with high pigmentation and opaque colour pay-off. It can be layered and blended out easily. It is slightly darker and much less metallic than Thru the Night Pro Longwear Eyeshadow, much more blue and less purple than Contrast, and lighter and more blue than Nehru.

For me, the must-haves from these are Jaunty and Barefoot — they have the smoothest and most pigmented formulas, and they also happen to be the most wearable and neutral shades of the collection. They're the type of colours that look good on their own (with a bright lip, perhaps?) and mixed with brighter or darker shades to create a full-blown eye look. The biggest disappointment out of these is Feeling Fresh, which is such a gorgeous colour — if only it would execute better! If you're looking for a similar green, I would definitely go for Fresh Flare Pro Longwear Eyeshadow instead, which goes on much smoother and more evenly with better colour pay-off. Nautical Navy is nice (I had read that it was super-dry and stiff and sheer, but I was pleasantly surprised that it's none of those things!), but very easily dupeable within MAC and within other brands. It's a nice option if you're looking for a navy blue shade, but it's easily passable if you have a lot at home.
10 comments on "MAC Hey, Sailor!: Eyeshadows"
  1. I was so strong and resisted all of them. Kind of proud of myself until I saw somebody wearing Feeling Fresh and thought "NO!" but then it was already sold out. Now that you recommend Fresh Flare instead, I might get it :)

    On a side now, thanks for my love for blues, I did get Hyacinth liner and I love it. It glides so well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Fieran, you do not need another blue eyeshadow, that's for sure. :P But yes, if you're looking for a nice grassy green, definitely look into Fresh Flare. SO PRETTY! :D

      And yes, the Kohl pencils do glide on really well... but they do tend to smudge, which is the only downside. Hyacinth is gorgeous, though! :)

      Delete
    2. I usually smudge my liner with a 214 brush then I set it with transparent powder and they do last a good 8 hours. I do wear a primer underneath too. I'm too paranoid about smudging.

      Heh, I do have a few blue eyeshadows. You're right :) I'm tempted to pick up the Naval Blue pigment though, if I happen to see it at a Pro Store. I'm also itching to get some more pigments though I don't need them. Discourage me, Denise!

      Will swatch Fresh Flare and see if I can part with it afterwards or not.

      Delete
    3. WOW, you put soooo much effort into wearing liner, lol!!! Nicely done, Fieran. :) I rarely ever wear pencil liner -- 99% of the time, I'm wearing liquid!

      Pigments are gorgeous products and fun to have but really unnecessary and wasteful in a regular person's make-up collection! I have pigments from about eight years ago that I will never use up. If there is a Pigment shade that you'll think you'll wear every day, then it's worth it (for Pigment fans, Vanilla, Tan, and Naked are must-haves). But for shades like Naval Blue, that you might wear once a week (maybe once a month?), it's just not worth the money!

      Discouraging enough? :P

      Haha, yes, you should. If you don't have a lot of bright greens at home, then it's worth getting. :)

      Delete
    4. I *love* pencil liner. Soft, smudgy pencils like MAC's Powerpoint pencils make my heart sing. There was a time when I wore Buried Treasure every single day. Then I moved on to Prussian, then Phone Number. Nowadays it's mostly black as I've discovered how much fun it is to tightline with black liner.

      I do have some pigments but I don't use them everyday. Mostly once a week or once a fortnight. I've used like an 1/8th of my Nebula pigment. I'm still playing around with Rose Gold. It's a bit cool toned on me. I used to buy a lot of pigments when I started collecting make up like Moonlight Night and The Family Crest. The Family Crest is just gorgeous as an outer corner/crease shade when combined with bronzey gold. *Happy sigh*

      But you're right. Will skip Naval blue :) I don't know if Naked pigment will suit me. I'm itching to get one of the gold pigments but I have way too many gold eyeshadows as well. Since I'm kind of dark a lot of sales assistants constantly push the gold shades at me and I usually fall for them.

      I have Lucky Green, Swimming, Humid, Bows & Curtsies and Oomph - all those are sort of green. Probably don't need Fresh Flare. OK, I'll shut up now.

      Delete
    5. I tightline with my mascara, lol. It's weird, but it works. :P

      The thing is if you have too many pigments, you'll never use them up. It's like... I have over 300 eyeshadows and I have only ever used up ONE (All That Glitters, if you're wondering, lol). That's why it's only worth it if you use it often enough. Sounds like you're making use of yours, though! :)

      Naked might be a little light on you, but Tan would look stunning on your skintone! I can see why people push golds on you, though -- they look truly gorgeous on dark skintones.

      Well, Fresh Flare is really different from those other greens you have... Just playing devil's advocate... ;)

      Delete
  2. Jaunty would be the only thing I'd wear... but it looks so similar to a lot of colours already out there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, Liz, time to expand your eyeshadow horizons... ;)

      Delete
  3. !!! Damnit, Denise! This is exactly why I kind of sort of but not really wish you would update less.. You're making me want to toss my makeup ban to the side and just go bananas on this release!!!

    I love Jaunty and Barefoot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Why is everyone going on make-up bans?!?! WHY? WHY?!!!!

      You can always just pick up one or two things, right? ;) Just let me know, I can grab stuff for you...

      Delete

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9