NYC — Spring 2012: Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics

on
Monday, May 7, 2012
The only make-up I bought in New York was from OCC, or Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics, which is a vegan and cruelty-free cosmetics company based in New York City. I was determined to make a trip to their only store in East Village, partly because I missed them at IMATS last year, partly because they're not widely available in Canada, and mostly because they won't ship nail polishes over the border. My haul includes:

Lip Tar in Anime, Ophelia, Digitalis, Hoochie, and Belladonna

OCC first became popular for their Lip Tars, which are intensely-pigmented, featherlight, liquid lipsticks. They go on slick and wet like a lip gloss, but are smooth, non-sticky, long-wearing, and dries down to a matte finish. Lip Tar is currently available in 36 shades, and while many of the colours can be worn alone, a lot of them are meant to be mixed to create custom shades. There is a light peppermint scent to them (from the peppermint oil), but they are taste-free. Due to the intense pigmentation, a very tiny amount goes a long way (I'm talking like, a tiny bead), because too much of this product will lead to feathering. I have yet to find another product that is comparable to these in terms of formula and colour range (MAC's Lip Mix, which is a PRO product, are similar in concept, but they are very limited in terms of shades). The Lip Tars come in new packaging now with more product (10 ml instead of 8 ml), matte tubes, and a pointed applicator instead of a slanted flat applicator. I actually prefer this packaging, since the old one dispensed way too much product.

Nail Lacquer in Chlorophyll, Chimera, Phantasm, Something, Pool Boy, Wasabi and Traffic

You know I had to stock up on the nail polishes, which are apparently some of the most pigmented and quick-drying on the market (they were developed for editorial manicurists, so they give opaque colour pay-off with little product that is camera-ready in little time). OCC won't ship these over to Canada because they're considered "Hazardous Materials," so I couldn't get my hands on these. I picked up seven shades, but Pool Boy is the one that I knew I had to snatch up — they were consistently sold out of this shade when it was released last year, and again at IMATS, so my friend who actually went couldn't even pick one up. The store had one bottle of Pool Boy left, and I snatched it right up before I even had to chance to peruse the rest of the store. I ended up picking up six other shades that I'd been eyeing on their website for the last year. Best of all, they signed me up for their pro program, which means 20% discount!

I just can't believe that's all the make-up I bought in New York.


Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics
174 Ludlow Street
New York, NY 10002
(212) 675-2404
6 comments on "NYC — Spring 2012: Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics"
  1. WHAT! That's IT? LOL

    OCC seems like such a pro thing to get. I love seeing the nail polishes lined up like that - they're so much better as a group than solo. Pool Boy looks like an awesome summer colour. Now I know that your nail polish kryptonite is bright blue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNOW, RIGHT? Okay, to be fair, my mom was like, "I will pay for half of your Miu Miu wallet if you don't buy make-up on this trip." I was like, "Oh, damn it. Fine." :P

      OCC is definitely more of a make-up artist's favourite than a consumer favourite, I find. It's huge in the community, but because it's not widely available, it's become more of a cult brand.

      And... yeah... I might have a thing for bright blue... I'm pretty sure every single polish I've been fiending for has been blue. :P

      Delete
  2. Hahaha I was going to make the same comment but you beat me to it in your post. Very appropriate names for those polishes!

    Heyyyy you were right around the corner from Stanton Social!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I promised my mom I would limit my make-up shopping. :P

      I didn't get a chance to eat there -- is it any good???

      Delete
    2. It's fantastic! It's all tapas-style so it's perfect for sharing. For our group of 5, we ordered 7 dishes excluding dessert, so you get to try a lot of different things. They have many fun dishes on the menu (we had mini chicken and waffles and french onion soup dumplings.)

      Delete
    3. FRENCH ONION SOUP DUMPLINGS?!!! AHHHH, it sounds SO GOOD. I will need to make a note to visit this place next time! :D

      Delete

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9