P.F. Chang's China Bistro

on
Thursday, October 11, 2012
Since we were at Shops at Don Mills tonight, Jack, Ronsee, and I decided to go to P.F. Chang's for dinner:

Tray of condiments

Crab Wontons

Pepper Steak

Sesame Chicken

Was the food tasty? Oh, yes. Was the restaurant clean and aesthetically pleasing? You bet. Was the service polite and efficient? Definitely. Was it worth it? Absolutely not. You are seriously paying for the decor. As an Asian who has eaten Asian food her entire life (and some damn good food, too), I feel like these prices are completely blown out of proportion. They've created a lovely atmosphere to dine in and given the illusion of luxury, but pepper steak for $17 is just highway robbery. I'm not sure what I really expected going there; something special, maybe some sort of Chinese fusion dishes. But, no. This is a place where you bring people that enjoy "Americanized" Chinese food and are willing to pay ridiculously inflated prices for it. If you want real Chinese food at legitimate prices, you won't find it here. (I also now realize that I've been making the right decision all these years of going to The Cheesecake Factory instead of P.F. Chang's when going to Walden Galleria. And, let's be honest, when The Cheesecake Factory is in the vicinity, there is no other option.)


P.F. Chang's China Bistro
The Shops at Don Mills
10 O'Neill Road
Toronto, ON M3C 0H1
(416) 510-8838
6 comments on "P.F. Chang's China Bistro"
  1. I walked past a PF Chang's almost every single day for 2 weeks when I was in Bellevue. When I saw your photographs I was regretting not going in, but when I read your verdict, I felt better. I did go to Din Tai Fung for dumplings and they were amazing! Cheesecake Factory, too! :) Sorry, I get really excited when I know I've eaten something that you consider delicious, since you're a food connoisseur :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, apparently, P.F. Chang's is much cheaper in the States. I have no idea why they jacked up the prices so much here (especially given that our dollar has been on par or higher than the US dollar for the last three years!). But yeah, don't regret it, you can totally find the same or better Chinese food for cheaper.

      LOL, not a food connoisseur, per se... just someone who loves eating. :P But thank you!

      Oh, god, I have a love affair with The Cheesecake Factory. That's pretty much all I want for my birthday, lol.

      Delete
  2. $17 for pepper steak! O-M-G.
    I'd rather dine at a hole-in-the-wall restaurant where the chef has been working for decades, getting paid under the table and you know the food is totally authentic, delicious and well, not $17. lol

    Did you take any photos of the decor at least? Haha :P
    The food looks decent, but nothing special.
    Well, maybe that they use black *and* white sesame seeds...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RIGHT? As I said, highway robbery!

      I totally agree. If I spend $17 at like, Chinese Dumpling House, I can get 30 steamed dumplings, six pan-fried dumplings, and a deep-fried green onion pancake, and still have money left for tax and tip!!!

      And no, I didn't take decor photos, LOL. It's a nice place to bring non-Asian guests who like "Chinese food" but not the authentic stuff and don't mind paying inflated prices 'cause it's "fancy" (I guess the valet parking they offer makes it seem classier than it really is, LOL). But not for three Chinese people to dine at, lol.

      Delete
  3. I have no idea what P.F. Chang is, aside from what you've said here. Never saw it or heard of it! Cheesecake Factory for the win against all other chains... love consuming 3000 calories in one sitting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really?! It's a very common chain in the States. Though the only one I've ever really seen is the one in Buffalo at the Walden Galleria. (It's literally next to The Cheesecake Factory, so really, there's no competition.) They just brought their first restaurant to Toronto and are apparently planning to open three more locations in Toronto. Either way, you're not missing out!

      There's nothing like being gluttonous at The Cheesecake Factory, it's true. I mean, where else am I gonna find a burrito the size of my arm?

      Delete

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9