Julep Maven Box: November 2012

on
Wednesday, November 28, 2012

For November, Julep released a slew of matte suede nail polishes. I wasn't too keen on any of the other styles, so I received my usual "It Girl" style box, which included two of the new matte suede shades as well as their Matte Top Coat. I added a bottle of their Fast Dry Top Coat for $4.99, as well, 'cause you can never have too much top coat, you know? As for the nail polish shades, I received:

Hailee and Nora

Hailee is a green-tinged gunmetal grey with silver micro-shimmer in a Matte Suede finish. It has a fluid consistency without being too thick or too runny. It goes on smoothly and evenly, without any pulling, bubbling, or streaking. It has high pigmentation and will reach opacity in two thin-medium coats. Due to the matte finish, it does try fairly quickly, but there is sufficient application time. It is less multi-faceted and more green than Chanel's Graphite.
Nora is a plum-tinged gunmetal grey with silver micro-shimmer in a Matte Suede finish. It has a fluid consistency without being too thick or too runny. It goes on smoothly and evenly, without any pulling, bubbling, or streaking. It has high pigmentation and will reach opacity in one medium coat. Due to the matte finish, it does try fairly quickly, but there is sufficient application time. It is less multi-faceted and more purple than Chanel's Graphite.

Overall, the formulas on both shades were beautiful — fluid, pigmented, and self-levelling. The difference between a straight-up matte finish and Julep's Matte Suede finish is just in the inclusion of micro-shimmer in the shades, which offers a more textured look rather than a completely flat one. That having been said, I have never been, and am still not, a fan of matte finish nail polishes, suede or otherwise. When I had these shades on, I kept thinking, "They'd look so much better with a shiny finish." It really ends up looking like nail polish that has a film of dirt on top. The Matte Top Coat is nice if you like matte finishes, as they can turn any nail polish into an almost "frosted glass" look. But again, I'm not keen on anything less than ultra-shiny on my nails. I will probably keep the two shades here, but wear them with a shiny top coat instead; they are actually really beautiful, lovely, dimensional shades when worn glossy.
6 comments on "Julep Maven Box: November 2012"
  1. Yeah, still not on board with matte finish here either. These are nice colours though and mimic that stoney look of real rocks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I see the stoney thing now. And the more I look at my photo, the more I understand the "suede" thing. It kinda does look like fabric!

      But... I still hate matte nails.

      Delete
  2. I *love* the suede effect because it's so mysterious. It looks less classy and a bit more casual.

    Nora looks very similar to that one 'matte' shade that came out with China Glaze's Hunger Games collection. I think it was "Stone Cold".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fair enough... I can see the appeal of the matte suede finish, but I just can't seem to get on board with it, lol. It's the reason I didn't get Stone Cold. I'll always go for glossy, shiny finishes. It's why I love glitter, 'cause I'm like, "OOOOHHHH, SO SPARKLY." :P

      Delete
  3. The nail polish looks great on you. But for whatever reason, I just don't look good with matte nails. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, I feel like very few people actually look good with matte nails. I personally don't like it on myself, either, but thanks!

      Delete

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9