Mercatto

on
Friday, November 23, 2012
Mary, Liz, and I finally managed to find some time to get together for dinner tonight. We were originally going to go to Terroni, but we couldn't get a reservation at any of their locations because they were too busy, so Liz got us a table at Mercatto instead. Which turned out for the better, anyway, 'cause it's been on my to-try list longer.

Assaggi: Fritto Misto

Pizze: Agnello

Pizze: Anatra

Liz and I shared the Fritto Misto to start, a deep-fried food lover's dream. Plump white shrimp and tender calamari, lightly battered and deep-fried to golden, crispy perfection, served with smoked ketchup and a most addictive creamy cucumber salad on the side. Not the most unique appetizer, but it was incredibly satisfying. For our mains, Liz opted for the goat's cheese ravioli, while Mary and I shared two pizzas. Mary picked the Agnello, which has mozzarella, tomato sauce, spicy homemade lamb sausage, roasted peppers, and basil. And I picked the Anatra, which has mozzarella, besciamella or béchamel sauce, duck confit, and foraged mushrooms (we all know how important the foraging process is with mushrooms). Both of them were divine, with perfect crusts — just crispy enough on the outside but still foldable New York-style, and with a proper chew on the inside. It was also substantial enough to hold all the toppings with nothing falling off, but still thin enough to be considered a thin-crust pizza.

I think I liked the Agnello marginally more, only because I felt the flavours worked really well together — the spicy, slightly gamey flavour of the lamb sausage was tempered by the sweetness of the peppers and the basil added a refreshing kick. The Anatra was decadent, but ultimately very rich, and I thought there could've been more of a flavour contrast (though I love that it's a white pizza!). Our server was efficient and extremely polite, sweet and attentive. The atmosphere is casual chic with a fairly open space and cute little chandeliers hanging from the ceiling, and the dimmed lighting makes for a very cozy ambiance, perfect for group gatherings and dates alike. Definitely no regrets on our restaurant choice, and I would definitely go there again. The pappardelle with lamb bolognese is calling out to me. Thanks for a wonderful dinner, ladies!


Mercatto
330 Bay Street
Toronto, ON M5H 2S8
(416) 306-0467
6 comments on "Mercatto"
  1. OMG I'm still thinking about the Agnello pizza. LOVED the sausage. LOVED. It.

    How was your ride home? I felt like I was in hell... It was so damn packed I felt like the crowd just carried me downstairs. And I waited another 12 minutes just to get to St. George from Bloor. I could have speed walked that motherf****. Liz totally made a good call on taking the longer way.

    GRRR!

    What're we eating next time?? We still gotta go on that foodie mini-road trip!!

    Thanks for the goodiesss!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it was seriously some of the best pizza I've had in a long time! NOMMMMM.

      My ride home was TOO CROWDED and to make matters worse, some 35-year-old guy (possibly mentally disabled) playing on his PSP sat next to me while eating ketchup chips and then PICKED A CHIP OFF MY COAT because he dropped one on me. Did I mention I hate public transportation?

      Indian food? :D We should really compile a list of places to go on our mini food trip.

      You're welcome, thank YOU for the goodies!

      Delete
  2. Man, these pictures look better than the real stuff! lol It was fun and we need to do it again! I want to see you girls at a buffet. :D

    I'm dying at your subway stories in the comments. That's the TTC for you. Grossness guaranteed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES LET'S GO BUFFET-ING!!! :D

      I find that many foods look better in photos because it captures a lot of detail that the naked eye doesn't, especially in dim lighting, lol.

      ACK. Hate the TTC. Don't miss it one bit. Totally stresses me out. :P

      Delete
  3. Terroni takes reservations now?

    That pizza looks good. Really good, scorched crust bubbles and all!
    Dare I say this, but I kind of miss making pizza's in a brick oven oven fired by wood. lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently, two of their locations take reservations and the Queen St. one is walk-in only.

      The pizza was as good as it looks! :)

      LOL, the pizzas you make at home are plenty delicious. What I do miss is brewed-by-the-cup coffee...

      Delete

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9