MAC Hayley Williams: Sounds Like Noise Lipstick

on
Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Yesterday, MAC released a new collection in collaboration with Paramore's lead singer, Hayley Williams. This collection is an online exclusive, and will not be available in stores. The names of the products from this collection are inspired by Paramore's music, and the products themselves are inspired by Hayley Williams' favourite colour, orange — the colour by which Hayley Williams is most associated by (her hair is always dyed in a shade of orange). MAC Hayley Williams is comprised of four products — three of which are new and limited edition, and one of which is permanent (I reviewed Lightscapade here). This collection features one new and limited edition shade of lipstick. MAC lipsticks are vanilla-scented but taste-free. Each lipstick comes in regular black packaging, contains 3 grams of product, and retails for $18. As this product is available online only, it is not applicable for the Back to MAC recycling program.

Sounds Like Noise

Sounds Like Noise

Sounds Like Noise is a medium vibrant true tangerine orange with a subtle sheen in a Matte finish. This is a new and limited edition shade. The texture is soft and creamy, and it goes on smoothly and evenly. It has high pigmentation and opaque colour pay-off. It is lighter and more yellow-toned than Morange, Neon Orange (PRO), and Good to Go Pro Longwear Lipcreme; and lighter and much less red than So Chaud.

I've loved Paramore for years, so this collaboration was really exciting for me, as both a make-up artist/fanatic and as a Paramore fan. This collection had originally been cancelled, but in early March, MAC announced that they were going to release it after all, so you can imagine how excited I was (so excited, in fact, that I obsessively stalked the MAC website every hour on the hour on Tuesday morning from midnight to 10:00; since I'm nocturnal, I went to sleep around 6:00am, and had to set four different alarm times so that I would wake up to check the site — I didn't know what time it'd be launching, and I'd be damned if it was sold out before I could put in my order!). I do wish that, given the size of the collection, MAC came out with another shade of Mineralize Skinfinish instead of re-promoting Lightscapade, which was made permanent last year (Stereo Rose would have been a good shade to re-promote, actually!).

Given the plethora of lipsticks that MAC has available, I was pleasantly surprised to see that there is nothing similar to Sounds Like Noise in the permanent range — all the orange shades by MAC available currently are darker and much more reddened by comparison. Sounds Like Noise technically has a Matte finish, but it glides on more like an Amplified and looks more like a Satin. It feels creamier and more hydrating than the typical Matte lipstick, but it definitely wears like a Matte, reaching over six hours of wear time. Just a beautiful formula. For those who are looking for a true orange lipstick, this is definitely one to look at.
12 comments on "MAC Hayley Williams: Sounds Like Noise Lipstick"
  1. This is such a good mini collection! Love the look of this lipstick and all the shades together. I don't want to wear true orange on lips though. But it's fun to stare at. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, I love that it's inspired by Hayley's hair. Her hair has been in various shades of orange for so long that I don't even think SHE knows what her natural hair colour is anymore, lol. I agree, it's a fun collection!

      As I mentioned, though, I do wish they had picked a different MSF to launch with this. Or a blush!!! An orange blush would've been SO MUCH FUN!!!

      Delete
    2. I agree with you, Denise. I'm really digging this mini collection (esp. the lipstick), but feel like it was a half-assed/lazy collaboration. NEED MORE!

      Delete
    3. Well, to be fair, MAC originally cancelled this collection... Not sure why they decided to release it after all, but it's super-fun and I love Hayley Williams, so I'm glad they did it. But, man, they could've done so much more with it!!! I would seriously rather have had a blush or lip gloss instead of the nail polish, for example... And I maintain that Stereo Rose would have been the perfect MSF to release with this. LE SIGH!!! I need to be recruited on their creative team.

      Delete
  2. Pretty...stop distracting me from studying ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOLLLL, no one asked you to lurk on my blog, Steph! ;)

      Text me when you are free for our next dinner date!!!

      Delete
  3. I was so tempted by the orange lipstick, I actually went to MAC yesterday and bought So Chaud (since we don't have an official online store here).

    Am so going to wear it tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad to see you embracing brighter lip colours, Fieran! :)

      So Chaud is gorgeous. I actually think it's more flattering across skintones than this lipstick, so don't feel too bad about not being able to get it!

      Delete
    2. Aww, thanks Denise! I've been wearing a lot of berry-ish shades like Rebel and Lush Life (Mineralize Moisture which is such a nice formula). Clarins has this Rouge Prodige lipstick and I also have a berry-ish shade in it. Can't remember the name.

      I also really like Girl About Town - it's such a gorgeous shade. My sister gave me Crosswires but it's a bit yellowish on me. It's not bad, but I haven't figured out a way to wear it yet. Do you think wearing it on top of a warmer lip liner will make a difference?

      About So Chaud, I was going to wear it today but my lips aren't in pristine condition so I'm working on that today. Hopefully I can wear it tomorrow. Thanks for the encouragement!

      Delete
    3. Looooove Rebel, it's one of my all-time favourites from MAC. I also love the Mineralize Rich lipsticks, they feel amazing on the lips and have great colour coverage! :)

      If you find Crosswires a bit too yellow-toned for you, try wearing it on top of a more red or more pink liner. Lip liners always make a big difference! :)

      Have you tried Up The Amp? It might be out of your comfort zone, but it looks gorgeous on darker skintones! :)

      Delete
  4. If this is lighter than Morange, I'll stay away - that friggin' lipstick is killing me!! I can't get it to look right on me whatsoever. I think because it is too light somehow on my skintone - I'm thinking I will get So Chaud at some point to appease myself :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yeah, this colour is only flattering on so many skintones, and I can see it being hard to wear for a lot of people. Not a must-have, but for those who love their orange lipsticks, it's definitely one to see. :)

      Why don't you wear Morange with lip liner? Like, line and fill your lip with MAC's Brick or Chicory, and then swipe Morange lightly on top. So pretty!

      I agree, though, So Chaud is easier to wear, and much more flattering in general. Actually, So Chaud and Morange look fantastic layered together!

      Delete

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9