Pure Spirits Oyster House & Grill

on
Thursday, August 29, 2013
So, after taking nearly an hour getting downtown and another hour trying to find parking for The Ex (we lined up for two parking lots, and both times, they put up the "lot full" sign just as we got to the entrance — needless to say, we were getting more frustrated and hungrier by the minute), Edward, Ronsee, and I decided to forget going to The Ex this evening and decided to drive to the Distillery District for dinner instead. After walking by several restaurants, we decided to go to Pure Spirits 'cause they still had room on their patio.

South Lake Oysters

We weren't technically looking for an oyster bar for dinner and I know we had oysters only a couple days ago, but we couldn't go to an oyster bar and not get oysters, you know? Their special today just so happened to be a half-dozen premium oysters for $16, so we just decided to get those. Today, they were offering South Lake oysters, which are from PEI and are described as "meaty, with lobster meat-like finish." As I am still quite the newb at eating oysters, I cannot say that they were particularly lobster-like at all, but they were on the saltier, brinier side that is characteristic of East Coast oysters. Not my favourite in the oyster world as I prefer sweeter, creamier oysters, but these were still refreshing and satisfied any leftover oyster cravings I had — and definitely worth the $16 special price.

Bouillabaisse of Oven Roast Monkfish

After much debate, I decided to get the bouillabaisse as it's not something I eat often and I was feeling... seafood-y. The bowl is filled to the brim with oven roast monkfish, mussels, shrimp, salmon, fingerling potatoes, onions, and tomatoes in a saffron and absinthe infused broth, and topped off with a rouille en croute. I can't be sure how authentic it is, but the monkfish was firm and meaty (almost like a really tender piece of chicken, actually), the mussels and shrimp were fresh and tender, and the salmon was silky smooth and nearly melt-in-your-mouth. And even despite all of that deliciousness, it's the broth that's the real star here: rich with flavour, smooth, almost velvety. It's so addictive, in fact, that I had to take the remaining pieces of bread just to sop it all up (and I mean all of it — my bowl was completely dry and empty by the time I was done with it). Definitely pleased with my choice this evening. 

Crème caramel with poached tarragon-infused peaches and shortbread

Finally, as we were already quite full, we decided to share a single dessert to complete our meal. We decided on the special of the day, which isn't found on their regular menu: crème caramel with poached tarragon-infused peaches and shortbread. For those who have never had crème caramel, it's essentially like crème brûlée but with a layer of soft caramel on top rather than a hard shell of burnt sugar. The custard was soft but perfectly dense and firm enough to keep its shape (rather than falling apart on the spoon). The peaches are what really perfected this dessert, though, adding a fresh crispness that kept the dessert from feeling heavy. The cookie was rich and buttery but still lightweight and added a nice textural contrast to the dessert. This is definitely something they should consider adding to their permanent dessert menu, in my opinion. 

As we didn't actually step foot inside the restaurant at all, I can't comment on the decor or cleanliness of the interior, but the patio was lovely — spacious with big patio umbrellas over every table, clean and streamlined steel tables and chairs lining the space. I liked that the tables were spaced perfectly apart to give privacy to each party but close enough to fully utilize the area, and that they set candles at every table as it was turning dark. It also helped that it was a seriously beautiful night to be sitting out; the temperature was just perfect, the humidity dialled back and kept us warm but not uncomfortably so  this is what I love about summer. The service was polite and attentive (coming back at regular intervals to ask how our food was and to clean up our table), which I think is important when sitting on a patio because many servers end up forgetting to check up on their patio sections. I'm quite pleased with our choice for dinner tonight — it may not be deep-fried butter or doughnut cheeseburgers or gelato paninis or Nutella sweet potato fries (as I had expected to be devouring this evening), but you know, I really can't complain. 


Pure Spirits Oyster House & Grill
17 Tank House Lane
Toronto, ON M5A 3C4
(416) 361-5859
2 comments on "Pure Spirits Oyster House & Grill"
  1. Clean and dry bowl? ATTA GIRL, DENISE.

    I can't remember if I've been to Pure Spirits or not but now I really really want to go. Your oyster journey is fun to read about. Sounds like a trip to the east coast is in order.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been thinking about a Maritimes trip for a while now, but I'd go solely for the fresh seafood. I wouldn't even know what else to do over there that would interest me... I think there's just so many other places that I'd wanna go to first, ya know?

      I love that I am on an "oyster journey." LOL! It's like when Mary said I was "livin' the sandwich life."

      Delete

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9