Pick-Ups & Deliveries: November 2013 — Birthday Haul!

on
Wednesday, November 20, 2013
Last week was a particularly busy week for me, because my birthday was last Friday (and as we all know, birthday celebrations never just last the one day — you go out with your friends on one day, your family takes you out for dinner on another day... it's more like birthday week, and it's the best thing, ever). Now, my closest friends know that I love birthday cards. No one takes the time to buy them, write in them, or send them anymore. I miss the art of penmanship, you know? Let me just say, my friends did not disappoint this year. They know that I like cute, colourful, and/or sparkly designs, so my friend Suzie got me one with a colourful sparkly tea cup illustration, Steph got me one with an awesome sandwich (!) made out of felt (that girl knows me well), and Edward gave me the most glittery Hello Kitty card I have ever seen in my life (Hello Kitty is encrusted with crystals!) along with a ridiculously cute tote bag from the Wong Fu Productions store (they are known for their awesome short story videos on YouTube).


My friend, Steph, had originally gifted me a super-soft dark grey jersey Talula Greenwich tee from Aritzia, but it was too small when I tried it on at home. She had included a gift receipt for this very reason, so I went to Aritzia to try to find a bigger size. I went to three locations, and none of them had a bigger size (one store didn't even carry the style), so I decided to exchange it for the black silk and jersey Babaton Phillip tee that'd I'd been eyeing since the end of summer (I figured that I could dress it up or down, so it would be more versatile in my wardrobe). Steph also included a few pairs of fun socks from Forever 21 because she knows that I only wear ones with crazy prints (or as I like to call them, "party socks"). I wear an all-black wardrobe so I like my socks to be a little on the wild side, you know? Some people might think socks are the worst thing ever to receive on their birthday... but, goddamn, I love them.

"Look! Mustache socks for Movember!"

Edward and I went to Yorkdale on Friday because he asked me what I wanted to do on my birthday and I said, "Shopping." My mom had given me a gift card from The Bay along with some birthday money, so I made a beeline for the Topshop section of The Bay at Yorkdale (I only go to Yorkdale like, once a year, so I try to make the most of it by going into stores that I don't frequent often or aren't found in other malls). Nothing really caught my eye there, but I did manage to pick up three more pairs of party socks (two with bear prints and one with hedgehogs) that were on sale at 3 for $16. And then I walked through the cosmetics department at The Bay and noticed the newly opened Illamasqua boutique. Gasp! I totally didn't know they opened one at Yorkdale, and while I wasn't actually planning on buying any make-up that day (especially given all that I bought at IMATS and the massive Sephora order I made), I ended up spending the rest of that gift card at Illamasqua. 

Topshop animal print socks!

Illamasqua Powder Blushers in Sophie and Morale, and Nail Varnishes in Harem and Facet

Finally, my friend F., who works at Lush, made a massive Retro order for me for my birthday. (I like a lot of Lush's Retro products, but they're online-exclusive and shipping is expensive, so F. always offers to make the Retro orders for me.) Actually, F. and I share the same birthday, so we do a gift exchange every year (I get her make-up, she gets me Lush goodies). I requested Rose Jam Shower Gel and Slammer Shower Gel (my favourite Lush scent of all time), so she got me the massive 500ml bottles of each, plus a tub of Party On Shower Jelly which I've been wanting to try for a while. And then she added a small bottle of Back for Breakfast Shower Gel and Lush Lime Smoothie Shower Smoothie on top of that just because she knows I love the citrus scents from Lush. Then, I was telling her that I'm super into taking baths right now and how I was very tempted to buy all of the new Christmas bath stuff that just came out, and she surprised me the next day with a bagful of their Christmas collection bath bombs and bubble bars. 

Lush Rose Jam Shower Gel, Slammer Shower Gel, Back for Breakfast Shower Gel, Party On Shower Jelly, and Lush Lime Smoothie Shower Smoothie

Lush Secret Santa, Bombardino, and Golden Wonder Bath Bombs

Lush So White, Father Christmas, and Lord of Misrule Bath Bombs

Lush Christmas Eve, The Christmas Penguin, Dorothy, and Amandopondo Bubble Bars

Do you appreciate receiving birthday cards? Do you like giving them? What do your "party socks" look like? And what are some of your favourite Lush products for this time of year? 
10 comments on "Pick-Ups & Deliveries: November 2013 — Birthday Haul!"
  1. oh man. those socks are wild indeed. you're kinda of like the character Booth on the show Bones. since he has to wear office wear all the time, he tries to jazz it up with ridiculous belt buckles. i do enjoy the crazy sock now and then and my favorite are my hello kitty ones haha.

    oooo i really want Lush's Rose Jam. i'm hoping that some bottles will be left come boxing day when they have their buy 1 get 1 free event!
    Jenn
    A Beautiful Zen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I don't watch Bones, but he sounds like my kinda guy! :D I actually don't think I own non-printed socks, LOL.

      Ooh, yes, definitely grab Rose Jam if you see it on Boxing Day! I didn't know Lush did a BOGO event, so I might have to stock up, too!

      Delete
    2. So true! I thought about Booth, too, when you mentioned that you liked socks. I always wear crazy socks too because I wear jeans to work everyday and can get away with crazy socks :) Gap sells some really cool but comfy socks. I haul a lot of those when I travel :)

      Happy belated birthday! These are some amazing gifts/self-gifts. Hope you had a great day!

      Delete
    3. Haha, I'm thinking I should start watching Bones... ;)

      The Gap ones are cute but I find that they're a lot more expensive for some reason (probably not to you, 'cause Gap's probably quite overpriced over there!). I love Topshop's patterns the most, though, 'cause they've got crazy prints of animals and FOOD (I have a pair of ice cream socks and some fruit ones, LOL). :D

      And thank you so much, Fieran!!! :)

      Delete
  2. HEDGEHOG SOCKS. I love. I like wild socks, too.

    And Illamasqua Facet! I am still trying to find that over here - no luck yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RIGHT? Those hedgehogs make my day, for real.

      Do you have an Illamasqua boutique near you? I feel like Facet might be sold out at Sephora locations, but I think the boutiques would be more likely to have it (they're also cheaper than what Sephora is selling it for -- $17 CAD vs $22 CAD!). Or you can always try online, too!

      Delete
  3. Birthday month! It's the only way to go. Haha, that HK card is the bestest. I love Hello Kitty. And fun socks FTW!!!

    I'm dying to get Facet, Raindrops, Blizzard nail polishes and Ore loose pigment from Illamasqua (and a thousand other things...!) Freaking love that The Bay has them and doesn't overcharge like Sephora. Apparently Sephora's going to phase out Illamasqua rather than adjust their prices, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, the more glitter there is, the better, I say!

      And yes, definitely pick up all your Illamasqua goodies from the Bay instead! I always thought prestige brands were nationally priced, but apparently not. When I was buying my polishes, the girl at Illamasqua said that the boutique sells them for $17 whereas Sephora sells them for $22. That mark-up is just ridiculous.

      Delete
  4. Heehee, those xmas bath bombs are so cute!! I think I've only ever bought two things from Lush, WAY back in the day….the brand never interested me, really.

    Party socks are great! I like party socks all the time, I hate boring black/white :) And as for cards, I'm don't care about birthday ones but I love getting and sending x-mas cards!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember picking up a few things when I was a teenager because Lush was new and exciting to me, but because all the Lush stores were downtown, I never bothered going there regularly and soon lost interest. But I found that Lush got a lot more attention in the past couple years, so when one opened up at the mall close to my house, I checked them out again. I go in phases with them, but in general, I really love their products. I guess it just depends on what you're looking for!

      I'm the opposite of you with cards -- I looooove birthday ones but don't care about Christmas ones. I guess I just don't find them as sentimental or heartfelt. Birthday ones are more personal and generally more curated to your personal tastes, ya know? :P

      Delete

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9