Pick-Ups & Deliveries: November 2013 — Sephora VIB Sale Haul

on
Tuesday, November 26, 2013
I had already anticipated that November was going to be an expensive month, but what I hadn't anticipated was getting so many damn things that I needed to split my hauls into three separate posts. (In case you missed them, the other two are here and here.) So... the Sephora VIB sale. It was during the same weekend as IMATS, so I basically blew half a month's pay cheques in two days. Yup. And I don't regret it at all. I mean, I'm not a VIB Rouge member for nothin'. I would've done this post earlier, actually, but I bought half of my purchases in store and half online, so I was waiting for my order to arrive (which it did on Friday). 

Sephora VIB tote bag

I know there was a lot of controversy over NARS' collaboration with Guy Bourdin, but I personally think it got a little out of hand. Guy Bourdin was a photographer and an artist, and while some might think his photography is offensive, his work, like all art, is up for interpretation. Ultimately, Guy Bourdin's work is an inspiration to many, not just in the subject matter, but in the placement and juxtaposition of the subjects, the way his photos were shot, and the different combinations of colours, textures, people, and environments. NARS was inspired by Guy Bourdin, and the reason behind it is not what concerns me, but how NARS interpreted Bourdin's artwork to create a make-up colour collection. And the colours are what is important to me here. I honestly couldn't care less who the collaboration was made with, but the colour story and the quality of the products are what concern me. So, that having been said, I picked up the four items that I fell in love with:

NARS x Guy Bourdin

NARS x Guy Bourdin Powder Blush in Day Dream and Coeur Battant

NARS x Guy Bourdin Cinematic Lipstick in Goodbye Emmanuelle and Full Frontal

Of course, I had to pick up the one thing that I've been lemming for over two months now: Urban Decay's Vice 2 Eyeshadow Palette. No, I certainly do not need another eyeshadow palette, but when Urban Decay releases a new one, my interest gets piqued. And when they release one that's limited edition with completely brand new shades, I feel that I must have it, because Urban Decay has never disappointed me with their eyeshadows in terms of quality and colours. I was super-impressed with the first Vice palette, so when I saw the swatches of the second one, it was love at first sight. And while I was at it, I picked up two more shades of Revolution Lipstick (one of my Top 5 favourite lipstick formulas of all time) in a MLBB shade and a nude (I had bought some of the brighter shades a couple months ago and wanted some of the more neutral shades this time around).

Urban Decay Vice 2 Eyeshadow Palette

Urban Decay Vice 2 Eyeshadow Palette (inside)

Urban Decay Revolution Lipstick in Liar and Naked2

And then I looked up Tarte for the sole purpose of getting a bottle of their Pure Maracuja Oil. I have been curious about face oils for a while now and just couldn't seem to make up my mind on one. Honestly, it was between this and Josie Maran's Argan Oil. I'm not really sure why I went for this one instead, but they both have rave reviews, so perhaps if the Tarte one doesn't work out for me, I'll try out Josie Maran's. While I was looking at the Tarte stuff, I also saw that they released their new Amazonian Butter Lipsticks. As I am a sucker for packaging, I was immediately drawn to them. Plus, the colour range is nice, the formula is rich and moisturizing, and the price is just right. So I picked up three shades that most interested me right now (I think I would've been more inclined to grab the brighter or lighter shades if it was spring or summer). Do I need anymore lipsticks? Oh, god, no. (If you'll notice, this haul alone includes seven goddamn lipsticks.) But there's no better time to try a new lipstick than when it's on sale, right?!

Tarte Pure Maracuja Oil

Tarte Amazonian Butter Lipsticks in Plummy Rose, Poppy, and Tulip


Then, some essentials. Or, "essentials," as I am a general cosmetics hoarder and nothing I buy right now is technically essential. I needed a new face primer because my beloved MAC Prep + Prime Face Protect SPF 50 is on long-term out of stock and I just ran out, so I took the opportunity to try the much-hyped (and ridiculously expensive) Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer SPF 15. I also picked up a new Shu Uemura Eyelash Curler, which I still think is the best in the industry and is a staple tool for me (they actually write on the box that you should replace your curler every six months but I truly think that's ridiculous, so I replace it every three years instead...). And, finally, some Deborah Lippmann polishes, which is not essential at all (like, at all), but were too pretty to resist (especially for 20% off!). Plus, let's be honest, what kind of Sephora haul could I make that doesn't include nail polish? One that doesn't make sense, obviously.

Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer SPF 15

Shu Uemura Eyelash Curler

Deborah Lippmann Nail Lacquer in Some Enchanted Evening, Good Girl Gone Bad, Lady Sings the Blues, and Today was a Fairytale

Finally, to end my haul, some free goodies! Firstly, because it was my birthday, I got my free Beauty Insider birthday gift. They were offering some Benefit mini set this year that I was so completely uninterested in, so I opted for the Jack Black Supreme Cream Triple Cushion Shave Lather instead. I haven't decided whether to keep it or to give it to the boyfriend yet, but at least it'll be opened and used either way (that Benefit set would undoubtedly be sitting in the corner of my room gathering dust). And then, because I had a ridiculous amount of VIB points, I redeemed them on some 500 point perk sets. I'm not usually interested in the point perks that they offer, but Sephora's hitting it out of the park for me this month, so I ended up choosing four of them. Although it kind of worries me that I had enough points to redeem for four 500 point perks and still have over 1,000 points left... (Uh, for those who aren't familiar with Sephora's VIB program, you get one point for every $1 you spend. Which means I have spent way too many dollars there.)

Beauty Insider Birthday Gift: Jack Black Supreme Cream Triple Cushion Shave Lather

VIB 500 Point Perk: Caudalie Brighten & Renew Skincare Set (with Make-up Remover Cleansing Water, Vinoperfect Radiance Serum, and Vinoperfect Day Perfecting Fluid)

VIB 500 Point Perk: Kate Somerville Skincare Set (with Oil Free Moisturizer, ExfoliKate Intensive Exfoliator, and DTX Daily Cleanser)

VIB 500 Point Perk: Tarte Amazonian Treasures Collection (with Pure Maracuja Oil, Amazonian Clay Finishing Powder, Amazonian Clay 12-Hour Blush in Exposed, Lights, Camera, Lashes! 4-in-1 Mascara, and EmphasEYES Waterproof Amazonian Clay Cream Eyeshadow in Moss)

VIB 500 Point Perk: Tocca Cleopatra Fragrance Viaggio Set (with Cleopatra Eau de Parfum Rollerball and Cleopatra Mini Candelina)

So, did you take part in Sephora's VIB sale this month? If so, what'd you pick up? 
10 comments on "Pick-Ups & Deliveries: November 2013 — Sephora VIB Sale Haul"
  1. Those 500 pt perks have been pretty enticing, lately!

    And YES you got the Naked 2 lipstick. I've been curious about it - I don't have a real nude lipstick. Now I can wait until you tell me about it, hahahaha.

    Also, I want Vice 2, too. So, uh, do me a favor and don't swatch that, ok? :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Naked2 lipstick is probably THE perfect nude shade for me. Like, it's not too light or concealer-looking so I don't look dead, and it leans very slightly peach, so it's great for warmer skintones. It's similar to MAC's Peachstock, a bit more peach than MAC's Cherish... but what makes this perfect for me is the formula! Super creamy, super pigmented, glides on beautifully. :D

      LOL, I might swatch Vice 2, but perhaps I'll warn you first. ;) I actually can't wait for Naked3!

      Delete
  2. Damn, those perks! I used up all my points last year and didn't even shop all year, so I actually had minus points by the time VIB rolled around. (Yes, they do take your points away...!!!)

    Um, so I hope you like Hourglass Veil Mineral, lol. It makes the face super smoooooth. Weirdly, now I don't find it as mattifying on the T-zone as I used to when my skin was super oily as opposed to today's combination.

    Good picks on the Lippmanns - Enchanted Evening and Fairytale are totally on my list. I think it should just be our life mission to collect every Lippmann glitter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have actually been really enjoying Hourglass Veil! I like the feel of it and the consistency and the finish, definitely more than any other primer I've tried. I'm the same as you re: mattifying, though! I find that even Face Protect SPF 50 isn't as mattifying on me now as it was when I was really oily. That having been said, I feel like Veil keeps me pretty matte, and I only start showing oils at about mid-day, which is pretty good! I usually blot twice a day at most. :)

      Haha, I pretty much have all the Lippmann glitters I want now. :D There are some that just don't entice me at all, like Candy Shop or 99 Luftballoons, but otherwise, I think I have almost all of them, lol.

      Delete
  3. ! what an amazing haul!! i've heard so many good things about the hourglasas primer i think i might pop into store and get a sample to try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, if by "amazing," you mean "ridiculous," then I totally agree. ;)

      And yes, you should definitely get a sample of the Hourglass primer before you think of purchasing it, 'cause it's like, $60! It's by far the most expensive primer I have ever tried (despite the fact that I got 20% off), but I've been truly loving it. Might actually be my HG primer!

      Delete
    2. I like the primer but I think maybe I'm applying too much. My face looks a little "too matte". Does that make sense? How much to you recommend applying? :)

      Delete
    3. I use one pump of the primer on my whole face. I don't find that it makes my skin too matte by any means, but maybe I'm oilier than you?

      Delete
  4. Those 500-pts perks HAVE been much better lately! What a(nother) haul, Denise! :) As someone who's gone through 2 bottles of the Tarte oil and tried the Josie Maran travel size Argan, I definitely preferred the Tarte, but I guess it depends on your skin's needs. Mine's normal/oily-ish and the Tarte was a better texture and fit. I hope you enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I haul a lot. :P I feel like all the money I make basically goes straight to cosmetics.

      I'm glad you like the Tarte one, 'cause it sounds like we have similar skin types! I haven't opened it yet because I wanna finish the moisturizer I'm using before I start a new one, but I'm really excited to try it. :)

      Delete

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9