MAC Viva Glam Rihanna 2: Lipstick and Lipglass

on
Wednesday, September 17, 2014

For those who don't already know about MAC's Viva Glam program, every cent of the entire selling price of every Viva Glam product sold goes to the MAC AIDS Fund. Every year, MAC appoints a celebrity to be their Viva Glam ambassador to help raise HIV/AIDS awareness. Every Viva Glam lip product that has been launched after Fergie's Viva Glam VI Special Edition in 2009 has been named after the celebrity ambassador of the year, with Lady Gaga and Cyndi Lauper in 2010, Lady Gaga again in 2011, Nicki Minaj and Ricky Martin in 2012, Nicki Minaj again in 2013, and now Rihanna for 2014. Rihanna is back with her second Viva Glam shade to bring us into 2015. To date, MAC's Viva Glam campaign has raised $345 million globally to help men, women, and children infected and affected by AIDS and HIV.

Viva Glam Rihanna 2 comes in both lipstick and lip gloss form, and both were launched in-stores last Thursday. Both are limited edition and will be available for six months (subject to change). As with all MAC lip products, they are vanilla-scented but taste-free. Viva Glam Rihanna 2 Lipstick comes in crimson rubberized packaging and a black metal tube featuring MAC's logo and Rihanna's signature printed across it in red. Viva Glam Rihanna 2 Lipglass comes in a clear tube with a crimson rubberized lid, and Rihanna's signature is again printed across the tube in red. Each lipstick contains 3 grams of product, and retails for $19. Each Lipglass comes with a doe-foot applicator, contains 4.8 grams of product, and also retails for $19. As they are for charity, none of the Viva Glam products are applicable for the Back to MAC recycling program.

Viva Glam Rihanna 2 Lipstick

Viva Glam Rihanna 2 Lipglass

Viva Glam Rihanna 2 Lipstick and Viva Glam Rihanna 2 Lipglass

Viva Glam Rihanna 2 Lipstick is a medium-dark warm bronzy mauve with silver pearl in a Frost finish. This is a new and limited edition shade. It will look more bronze, or more mauve, or more silver depending on the angle and the lighting. It has a creamy texture, but due to the nature of the finish, it does go on a bit unevenly. It has medium-high pigmentation with semi-opaque to opaque buildable colour pay-off. It is cooler and more silver than Fluid, darker and more brown than Plum Dandy, and more mauve than Chintz.
Viva Glam Rihanna 2 Lipglass is a clear greyed mauve with pink and silver iridescent shimmer. This is a new and limited edition shade. It will look more pink or more silver depending on the angle and the lighting. It has a creamy texture, and it goes on smoothly and evenly. It has low pigmentation with sheer colour pay-off. It is more grey and less pink than Bountiful Plushglass, and more grey than Morning Glory Lustreglass.

I don't think it came as a surprise to anyone that Rihanna was going to have a second run as Viva Glam ambassador, especially since the last two ambassadors (Lady Gaga and Nicki Minaj) also had two terms. I'm sure many people have opinions about Rihanna or MAC teaming up with Rihanna again, but in the end, if Rihanna can use her fame and popularity to sell a product that goes directly to charity rather than for profit, I'm all for it. There's going to be a little more backlash for this lipstick than her previous Viva Glam shade just because it's not going to be everyone's cup of tea. It's not widely appealing and it does require some work to make it look flattering on many skintones. I mean, let's be real, we can't all be Rihanna, who's rocking these lip products plus neon green hair in the latest Viva Glam ad and looking like a fierce urban fashionista. 

I can see why they decided to release this colour for this fall, as the whole '90s grunge look is on trend right now and these brown/grey/taupe shades are trying to make a comeback, but I can't help but be a little disappointed that they didn't try to release something a little more wearable (the original Viva Glam line-up in general is extremely flattering across a plethora of skintones, so it's always surprising to see that the celebrity-driven shades aren't). If you were a fan of MAC's Icon lipstick, which was discontinued last year (and made a re-appearance in this month's Artificially Wild collection), you'll love this one because they're very similar. I do think this shade looks exceptional on medium-dark to deep-dark skintones, but those with fairer skintones can look very washed out and almost zombie-like so I like pairing it with lip pencils (MAC's Whirl, Half-Red, or Plum look fantastic with it). On that note, I do think they did a great job with the Rihanna 2 Lipglass, as you can layer it on top of every single lip colour out there to add more dimension; it looks like someone sprinkled diamond dust and magic unicorn sparkles on your lips. And the Rihanna 2 gloss definitely makes the Rihanna 2 lipstick that much prettier.

The MAC AIDS Fund is one of the most effective charities I have ever seen a cosmetics company identify with, and it still blows my mind that MAC helps this charity on a daily, on-going basis with their Viva Glam program. Not only that, but they don't just donate a portion or the proceeds to this cause — it's 100% of the selling price of any Viva Glam product. This is a really worthy cause, so if you're not personally a fan of these, it's worth checking out any of the other Viva Glam shades that may be more wearable or flattering on you.
10 comments on "MAC Viva Glam Rihanna 2: Lipstick and Lipglass"
  1. i'm not sure whyyy the 90's grunge thing is come back but i've noticed it in the apparel of the young'un around me. i kept thinking, man...plaid shirts tied around waists with skinny jeans. that almost never goes out but its make such a resurgence right now.

    not a fan of the era for make up though. brown lips..eh.. i don't know...

    Jenn
    A Beautiful Zen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trends are always recycled, so it was only a matter of time before '90s grunge made a comeback. I'm actually a huge fan of the trend in terms of fashion (maybe because '90s grunge is one of my favourite genres of music) but not so much in terms of makeup. I don't mind the '90s brown lip so much, but it's that kind of taupe/grey frosted look that I'm not a huge fan of personally.

      Delete
  2. I like the color - it's interesting, and as you say, I think it'd be awesome on those with darker skintones. No reason not to try something different now and again, and that is one of the things I do like about MAC. The Viva Glam program is also really impressive. I personally can't pick this up, but I like seeing it, if that makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree with you with trying new colours in make-up. I mean, I think five years ago, no one would wear a ridiculously bright purple lip, and now it's all the rage. Same with the really dark, almost black vampy lip. As a make-up artist, I always like to keep an open mind with colour. I mean, this shade on its own makes me look like a robot, but if I use the right liner, it looks pretty damn cool. :)

      Why can't you pick this up? Don't live near a MAC?

      Delete
    2. I do, but I am honest enough with myself to know that I'm not going to wear it, ever. I might try it on for fun at the store, but that's about it!

      Delete
    3. LOL, I thought you meant you literally CAN'T buy Viva Glam.

      But yeah, I can't see this being a very wearable shade for many. I personally think if you're gonna get a Viva Glam, your best options are I and III. :)

      Delete
  3. I really like the look of these but need to examine them up close in person! I doubt that I'd ever wear the lipstick on its own but it's kind of awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welp, if anything, it's definitely unique! I absolutely love this colour on darker skintones, even on its own. On fairer skintones... well, you definitely need to try it on. :P As for the gloss, I've been wearing it on top of pretty much every lipstick. It makes everything look good, lol.

      Delete
  4. That lipstick definitely seems like there won't be that many people who can rock it, though I have seen a few. I don't think I'll be picking it up though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fair enough -- this shade's definitely not for everyone! I quite like the gloss, though. Been wearing it on top of everything, from nude shades to deep dark vampy shades, and it just adds a gorgeous iridescence. :)

      Delete

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9