Saturday Nine: Papa Don't Preach (1986)

on
Saturday, June 18, 2016
This week's Saturday Nine:


(Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.)


  1. Madonna has sold more than 200 million records worldwide. Do you have any of her songs on your iPod/mp3 player/phone? Yeah, but only The Immaculate Collection (her first greatest hits album from 1990). I'm not a huge Madonna fan, but I do appreciate some of her songs.

  2. When she first arrived in New York in search of fame and fortune, Madonna supported herself by working at Dunkin' Donuts. What did you order last time you were at Dunkin' Donuts? I have no idea. Coffee, probably? Dunkin' Donuts isn't a thing in Canada. It's all about Tim Hortons. And I can tell you exactly what I last ordered at Tim Hortons (which was last week): a medium steeped tea, double-double, and a box of 10 Timbits (five strawberry jelly, five honey dip).

  3. Madonna and her first husband, Sean Penn, ended their marriage on New Year's Eve, 1988. Sam's New Year's Eves are never that dramatic. What about you? Do you have any vivid New Year's Eve memories you'd like to share? Er, I have some vivid New Year's Eve memories... but none that I can share with the public...

  4. Madonna admits she suffers from brontophobia, aka the fear of storms. Are you scared of thunder and lightning? No. I used to be scared of storms when I was a kid, but I love them now. I stand outside on my porch to have a smoke and watch it.

  5. Onstage during the 2015 Coachella fest, Madonna shocked the audience by planting a kiss square on the lips of much-younger rapper Drake. What's something that surprised you recently? All the tragedy that's happened in Orlando over last weekend — both the Pulse shooting and the murder of Christina Grimmie.

  6. More recently, Madonna was at the center of a controversy because Prince fans didn't like her tribute at the Billboard Music Awards. They made themselves heard on social media. Was your last Facebook post or Tweet positive or negative? I don't actually post on either anymore, and haven't in years. I have my Instagram linked to Twitter, so all you see are my photos. Which are of food. Which I love. So I guess you could say positive?

  7. One of the things Sam's papa preaches about is car maintenance. He reminds her to check her car's air filter regularly, because a dirty filter can reduce mileage. Share your own car maintenance tip with us. I don't know anything about car maintenance, so all I can say is, get your car serviced regularly (I think I do mine every 15,000 km) so the professionals can maintain it for you.

  8. When she was growing up, Sam's father was often away on business. He always remembered to bring back the complimentary shampoos, conditioners and lotions from the hotels where he stayed. When will you next stay in a hotel (or motel, bed-and-breakfast or Airbnb room)? I'm not sure if I'm going to be going away any time soon since I just went to Montreal and NYC last month, but I do have two vacation weeks left (one in September and one in November), so I might do a little getaway, funds permitting. Maybe to the Maritimes or to Vancouver. I'm feeling coastal.

  9. To celebrate Father's Day, Sam is giving away her father's favourite candy: LifeSavers. Would you prefer a roll of Wild Cherry, Butter Rum, Winter Green or Peppermint? Winter Green or Peppermint. I'm a smoker; I always need mints.
Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9