Saturday Nine: Surf City (1963)

on
Saturday, July 23, 2016
This week's Saturday Nine:


(Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.)


  1. When the song was written, "Surf City" was a fictitious town. Tell us a song that is set in a real place. "Dying in New Brunswick" by Thursday. It's also one of the most depressing, emotionally raw songs I've ever heard.

  2. In the song, Jan and Dean sing about riding around in a 1934 station wagon, which means the car was 29 years old when the song was recorded. How old is your vehicle? It's four years old now.

  3. Are you good on a surf board? I have no idea, I've never been on a surf board.

  4. When you spend time out in the sun, are you careful about applying sunscreen? I suppose if I actually spent a significant amount of time out in the sun, I would. But as it is, I only spend time in the sun if I'm walking to and from my car. And when I'm in my car (though the windows are usually up, anyway). But I usually wear long sleeves in any case.

  5. Dean's original partner was Arnie Ginsburg. When Dean was drafted into the Army, Arnie didn't feel like waiting so he abandoned show business and went back to college. Today he holds several patents. What is something you wish someone would invent? Teleportation.

  6. Jan was a perpetual student who juggled college with recording. He not only graduated from UCLA, he completed two years of medical school at the UC Irvine School of Medicine. Have you ever considered going back to school? Dear, god, no. I've had enough schooling, thanks.

  7. In 1966, Jan was sidelined by a serious car accident. During the years that he was unable to perform, partner Dean became a graphic artist. He designed logos and album covers for Steve Martin, Diana Ross and others. Do you feel you respond most to words, pictures, or music? Pictures. I'm a visual person by nature. If I wasn't a makeup artist, I would've been a graphic designer (I studied Graphic Communications in university).

  8. In 1978, CBS made a TV movie about Jan and Dean. If they approached you about a made-for-TV movie of your life, who would you like to play you? Keiko Agena. I'm obviously just basing this off of her playing Lane in Gilmore Girls, but I think she'd get my personality to a tee.

  9. Random question:  Growing up, how did you learn about the birds and the bees? (From books/the web, from parents, from your friends...)? I guess science and sex ed classes in school to learn more about the biology of it, but I kinda always knew the gist of sex even before knowing what it was called. My parents never needed to talk to me about it. 
Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9