Saturday Nine: Baby's in Black (1964)

on
Saturday, November 26, 2016
This week's Saturday Nine:


(Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.)


  1. Black is this week's signature colour because Friday, November 25, was "Black Friday," when retailers cut their prices and consumers flock to the stores. Did you score any "Black Friday" bargains? Yeah, I bought two black tops (the Ren Blouse and the Austran Blouse) and two blanket scarves (the Wilfred Free Mixed Stripes Blanket and the Wilfred Free Boling scarf that is no longer available online) from Aritzia, all at 50% off. In previous years, their "sale" was like, 10 - 20% off at most, so this is their best one by far.

  2. Feasting and football are also popular Thanksgiving weekend pastimes. Do your Thursday - Sunday plans include pigging out or watching a game? No, Canadian Thanksgiving is in October, so I am working this weekend. However, my weekend plans also include binge-watching all four parts of Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life on Netflix.

  3. At Thanksgiving dinners, Crazy Sam's homemade gravy is always a hit. (Probably because she's so generous with the cognac, which gives the gravy a nutty taste.) What was particularly delicious at your Thanksgiving table? Sadly, I didn't celebrate Thanksgiving this year. Or, at least, at anyone's house. My mom and I went to Swiss Chalet, but by the time we got there, they were already out of their Thanksgiving items (stuffing, cranberry sauce, pumpkin pie, etc.).

  4. Among the biggest the Black Friday advertisers are Target, Kohl's, Macy's and Best Buy. If you could have a $100 gift card to any one of those stores, which would you choose? Macy's. I go to the Herald Square location in NYC, which has one of the best cosmetics departments, and I always end up spending hundreds of dollars there and end up feeling kinda guilty (but with no buyer's remorse). I'd probably spend it on a Jo Malone perfume or maybe on a couple Tom Ford lipsticks, which are things that I would love to have, but definitely don't need. Those are the types of things that are ideal to spend gift cards on. See, I would have said Target, but I feel like Target sells things that I would need to buy for myself all the time, anyway, and everything's affordable so I wouldn't feel guilty for spending money there.

  5. This week's song, "Baby's in Black," is about a girl who wears black because she's in mourning. Do you find that the colour you're wearing reflects your mood? Nah. 99% of my wardrobe is black and I'm not always in mourning or depressed or gloomy or whatever else black is usually associated with. That having been said, I sometimes choose my makeup looks by mood. Like, if I'm feeling festive, I might wear a red lipstick or glitter on my eyes. Or if I'm feeling cheerful, I might put on coral eyeshadow or purple lipstick.

  6. The woman who inspired this song, Astrid Kirchherr, has been friends with Paul McCartney since he and his bandmates (John Lennon, George Harrison, Stu Sutcliffe and Pete Best) met her in Hamburg back in 1960. Tell us what you believe are the components of a strong, lasting friendship. Loyalty, understanding, and respect.

  7. In the early days of the Beatles, Paul McCartney and John Lennon began writing a play but abandoned it. Do you have a novel, painting, play, song, or poem that you're going to finish "someday"? Nah. It's why I pursued makeup in all of the different arts I was interested in. It's not a tortured medium and it's also temporary.

  8. When he was 16, George Harrison dreamed of moving to Canada, Australia, or Malta. In just a few years, he would visit all those places with Beatles and eventually decided there was no place like home and stayed in England. Have you ever thought about moving to another country? If so, where? I've always said that if I were to move anywhere outside of Canada, it'd be NYC. Not just the US in general, but NYC specifically — I love the culture and the food and the lifestyle and the attitude there. My brother also lives there, so if I moved there, I wouldn't feel super alone. However, given recent political events, I know it won't be any time soon. And, honestly, I kinda love Canada too much to move. I'd have to have a serious job opportunity over there to really make that kind of commitment.

  9. Random question: Finish this sentence — If you want me to give you "yes" for an answer, the best time to approach me is _____________________. When I'm at work. See, when I'm by myself at home, I have too much time to think. When it's my day off, I'm too lazy. When I'm at work, I'm the most coherent, energetic, and amenable.
Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9