Saturday Nine: Take My Breath Away (1986)

on
Saturday, December 3, 2016
This week's Saturday Nine:


(Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.)


  1. When were you last breathless? When I laughed really hard at something my friend Amanda said the other day.

  2. This is the love theme from Top Gun, and the romance was between a pilot and his instructor. Have you ever had a crush on a teacher? Yep, my art teacher in high school. He was tall and lanky, and very charming, charismatic, and talented. He wasn't the guy that you'd think is good-looking right off the bat, but he was effortlessly cool so you always wanted to impress him. That might be why art and photography were my best grades in high school.

  3. The pilots in Top Gun all had cool nicknames — including Maverick, Goose, Merlin, Cougar and Stinger. Give yourself a cool pilot name. Well, I used this Top Gun Call Sign Generator, and it gave me the name "Redstar," which sounds pretty cool.

  4. The actress who played the instructor, Kelly McGillis, owns Kelly's Caribbean Bar/Grill and Brewery in Key West. It's known for its cheese and beer dip appetizer, served with warm pretzels. What's one of your favourite between meal snacks? Weirdly enough, I actually don't eat a lot between meals; I usually just get a bubble tea, and my favourite is Presotea's Panda Milk Tea (black milk tea with white and black pearl tapioca).

  5. The group who recorded this week's song is called Berlin, but they're really from Southern California. Have you ever been to Berlin? How about Southern California? I've never been to Berlin; the closest I've been is Cologne, Germany. I have, however, been to Southern California a few times: Los Angeles, San Francisco, San Diego, Santa Barbara, San Jose.

  6. Lead singer Terri Nunn has a weekly radio show, Unbound on KCSN. How often do you listen to the radio? Do you tune in for music, comedy, news, or talk? I very rarely listen to the radio unless I'm in someone else's car or my phone runs out of battery. I would tune in solely for music but I find most radio stations to be all ads these days. My phone died while I was driving home a few months ago, so I turned on the radio to the rock station and I swear to you, it was straight ads for at least five minutes before one song came on (a shitty one, at that) before going straight back into ads for another five minutes. No, thanks. I've since learned just to keep a phone charger in my car at all times.

  7. In 1986, when this song was popular, PeeWee's Playhouse premiered. While ostensibly for children, PeeWee Herman's show had many, many adult viewers. Do you watch still watch any kid's shows? No. I'm not even familiar with most of today's kid's shows. But I don't watch a ton of TV shows these days, anyway, so it's a moot point.

  8. Robert Pattinson, the actor who played Edward the vampire in the Twilight series, was born in 1986. Have you read the Twilight books? Seen the movies? I've read all the books and watched all the movies. While the writing left something to be desired, I thought the concept of the books and the world that Stephenie Meyer created were very interesting, and I ultimately enjoyed the series. The movies were pretty terrible, but you know, guilty pleasures. And Robert Pattinson was hot back then.

  9. Random question: In an alternate universe, which of these professions would you like to find yourself in — United States senator, Ivy League professor, or imminent psychiatrist? Psychiatrist. I've always been interested in how the human mind works.
Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9