NYC — Autumn 2012: Aquagrill

on
Tuesday, September 11, 2012
We were dead set on having lunch at Pearl Oyster Bar during this trip (they're the "home of New York City's best lobster roll," after all), so we decided to go after our little excursion to the MAC Pro store. We took a cab there and what do you know, they're closed for a week because they're on vacation. (What?! Since when do restaurants close to go on vacation?!) So then we decide to walk to Blue Ribbon in Soho since it was highly recommended by a bartender we had chatted up a couple nights before at Maxwell's. When we got there, we found out that they open at 4:00 because they only serve dinner. We would've waited had we not had to get to the airport for 5:30, but no, luck was just not on our side that day.

So, given that we were in Soho, I took the girls to Aquagrill, which was as close to Pearl Oyster Bar as we were going to get. (I remember the place because I passed by it everyday when I stayed at the Trump Soho back in April. I wanted to try it then but it was always packed and I always got too hungry to wait.) We got there around 2:45, and originally, the host wasn't even going to seat us because they stop serving lunch at 3:00. We were turning to leave when the bartender said we can sit at the bar and still order lunch as long as we do it within 15 minutes. So, we each sat on a barstool and ordered within five minutes of arriving.

Oysters: Martha's Vineyard (Massachusetts) and Komo Gway (British Columbia)

I really wanted to try the oysters since that's what Aquagrill is known for (they are continually on Zagat's Top Raw Bars list), so I asked our waitress for some recommendations since I'm a oyster-eating newbie. She recommended I try one from the West coast, Komo Gway, and one from the East, Martha's Vineyard. Both were really good, but I preferred the one from British Columbia since the other one was more salty and briny. The waitress was like, "Oh, you're a West coast girl, then, huh? You prefer them sweet and creamy." Oh, man, it took me so much not to make a dirty joke just then.

Grilled Rare Yellowfin Tuna Sandwich

Maine Lobster Sandwich

Wynnie and I decided to share two sandwiches. Her choice was the grilled rare yellowfin tuna, with avocado, arugula, and grilled onions on a ciabatta bun. The tuna was fresh, meaty, and tender, and perfectly seared on the outside. The avocado offered a nice creamy contrast to the fish, while the arugula added a lovely freshness, and the grilled onions added an addictive caramelized saltiness. For $14, I thought this sandwich was entirely worth it. In lieu of a lobster roll, I decided on the Maine lobster sandwich, which they charge by market price (that day, it was $26.50). I was like, "Damn, for that price, this better be an epic sandwich." And so it was. An entire lobster tail is encased in vegetable slaw and cayenne mayo, and served on a ciabatta bun. The lobster was soft and juicy and perfectly cooked, with the veggie slaw adding a nice vinegary zing and the cayenne mayo adding creaminess and spice. Positively glorious.

I'm not sure how good Pearl Oyster Bar is, but Aquagrill has amazingly fresh seafood that is simply but beautifully prepared, and at relatively reasonable prices. It satisfied any and all our seafood cravings and I would definitely visit it again.


Aquagrill
210 Spring Street
New York, NY 10012
(212) 274-0505
2 comments on "NYC — Autumn 2012: Aquagrill"
  1. DAAAAAAAMN, that lobster sandwich looks AMAZING!!! LOL @ dirty oyster jokes! Frig, I can't read these posts anymore. Those restaurants must make a killing to be turning people away regularly like that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liz, it was AS GOOD AS IT LOOKS. Arrrrgh, even I can't look at these posts anymore. They all make me hungry and sad that I am back from vacation. :(

      And yeah, it's cutthroat in the restaurant business in NYC. You either make it or break it. Luckily, all the restaurants we visited this time around are all in the "make it" boat so I can visit them in the future! But I still feel the need to try Pearl Oyster Bar. LOBSTER ROLLS!!!

      Delete

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9