Maxim Bakery & Restaurant

on
Tuesday, December 25, 2012
My mom and I went for our annual Christmas dinner at Maxim this evening. On the menu this year:

Norwegian smoked salmon with potato latke and sour cream

Roasted duck meat with cabbage and onion salad

Shrimp with spicy mayo on seaweed salad

Bacon-wrapped boneless quail stuffed with shitake mushroom

Lobster bisque au Cognac

Pan-seared Rossini-style filet mignon topped with paté

Mango meringue

Most of the menu stays the same every year, but I loved the variety this year with the appetizers, especially the smoked salmon with potato latke. The bacon-wrapped quail was every bit as decadent as it sounds, and while I like the lobster bisque at Day & Night (another Asian-run fine dining restaurant) more, Maxim's version is still rich, creamy, and flavourful. Of course, the comparison ends there, because in the end, I still prefer Maxim to Day & Night. The filet mignon was super-juicy, tender, and beautifully cooked to medium-rare perfection. The paté on top was a surprising touch and I thought it paired very nicely with the steak.

Maxim, originally being a bakery, is well-known for their cakes, and like every year, they offered a "mini dessert buffet" of their popular offerings. The only flaw here is that I was so damn full by time I finished the steak that I only had enough room for one dessert (first world problems, for serious), so I picked my favourite: the mango meringue. It's essentially whipped cream and fresh mangoes between two meringue cookies, and it is positively delightful. It's not overly sweet, and still light and airy while satisfying any sweet cravings. All in all, a fantastic dinner. I would come here more often, but I feel like I wouldn't appreciate their food nearly as much, so I think this place will remain our Christmas tradition (also because my mom and I are far too lazy to actually cook Christmas dinner).

Hope you all had a wonderful Christmas!


Maxim Bakery & Restaurant
9665 Bayview Avenue, Unit 1-4
Richmond Hill, ON L4C 9V4
(905) 883-1465
2 comments on "Maxim Bakery & Restaurant"
  1. Seriously drooling so much that I have to spit, LOLLLL! I think it's a nice Christmas tradition and would be happy to have one like that as I'd like to not cook for the next five years at least. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, your comments are killing me, Liz. It was a really good dinner, though. Makes me drool just thinking about it...

      Haha, yeah, I don't live a very domestic life. I can't cook for shit, and my mom cooks everything healthy so her food tastes like shit. :P

      Delete

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9